Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Fun Starts from the Choosing

Taken from my multiply blog (http://heiressmichi.multiply.com/journal). Written last August 12, 2007)

"What?!!"

That's how we all reacted when my 4th grader cousin screamed "Gusto ko yan!" when she saw a popular condom ad.

Surprised by our reactions, she immediately said, "Hindi ba candy yan?"

My mum, my sisters, and I were silent for a while. Mum tried to tell her that she'll explain what a condom is in private (since little Julianna is still around) but being the curious girl that she is, Patty kept begging mum for the answer. For some reasons, she (Patty) turned to me for help. Then came my child psyc background.

"Sige ate, gamitin mo child psyc mo," Mick said.

Fine. Let's put my learnings to the test.

There's no way to go but for the truth. Straight but not too much facts. Explaining it like 4th grade Science instead of making it sound bastos. And telling her that in time, she'll understand things better.

I'm happy that Patty got most of the part. But some...well, I'm sure that time and maturity will be the best teachers.

On the other hand....

I already knew what a condom is/was when I was in 4th grade. Aside from reading a lot, I owe whatever advanced knowledge that I have from my parents. They've always been open but firm. And it worked for me. I love how they'd let me free yet keep me grounded. They've always answered my inquiries and made sure that they've given just enough, you know, things that they believe I can handle at that time. Mum and dad know me a lot. They know the things that'll fit my mind- they know when to go and when to hold back. And when I was a little older, I love how they'd trust me to discover things for myself yet keep me safe and protected. There was never a perfect formula though. I'd get into minor problems but they'll help me take things better. And I'll be forever thankful for their trust.

Yey!

Hi mum! I miss you dad.

No comments: