Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bless my homeland forever...

Taken from my multiply blog (http://heiressmichi.multiply.com/journal). Written last August 25, 2007)

I was hoping to watch "The Von Trapp Family Singers" only to find out that it was already replaced by another show. Sigh. I've been dying to see the re-runs ever since I saw the teaser. I was a little disappointed but I had to keep my composure since I'm already 21...and 21 year-olds do not throw tantrums over a replaced cartoon. Lucky me that "The Sound of Music" was aired that afternoon on Star Movies. It was only then that mum reminded me that I have a VCD of the said classic. Duh.

Anyway, a little FYI: I shouldn't be bothered while watching "The Sound of Music." I was still a kiddo when I first encountered the movie. I remembered having our own betamax version of the film and I'd just be in awe of Julie Andrews. Mick and I were all eyes on the film. Not long after, I started doing ballet and we did our own version of "Do-Re-Mi." I was just five but I danced with much gusto. I had to give justice to one of my favorite musicals.

My appreciation of the said musical went from being in awe to Julie Andrews (and the songs, ofcourse) to being able to understand the issues raised in the film. Here are the lines in the film that I love the most. They transcend from being humorous to being noteworthy (in all aspects, including love, hehe).

Capt. Von Trapp: Fraulein, is it to be at every meal, or merely at dinnertime, that you intend on leading us all through this rare and wonderful new world of... indigestion?

Max: He's got to at least *pretend* to work with these people. You must convince him.
Maria: I can't ask him to be less than he is.

The Baroness: Somewhere out there is a lady who I think will never be a nun. Auf Wiedersehen, darling

Mother Abbess: Maria, these walls were not meant to shut out problems. You have to face them. You have to live the life you were born to live.

Max: I hope you appreciate the sacrifice I'm making.
Captain von Trapp: You have no choice.
Max: I know... That's why I'm making it.

Captain von Trapp: You brought music back into the house. I had forgotten.

Maria: I can't seem to stop singing wherever I am. And what's worse, I can't seem to stop saying things - anything and everything I think and feel.
Mother Abbess: Some people would call that honesty.
Maria: Oh, but it's terrible, Reverend Mother.

Kurt: Only grown-up men are scared of women.

Maria: When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.

Max: The Von Trapp Family Singers. Here are your names: Leisl, Friedrich, Louisa, Brigitta, Kurt, Marta and Gretl.
Gretl: Why am I always last?
Max: Because you are the most important.

Maria: When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.

The Baroness: There's nothing more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him.

Marta: I'm Marta, and I'm going to be seven on Tuesday, and I'd like a pink parasol.
Maria: Well. pink's my favorite color, too.

Captain von Trapp: My fellow Austrians, I shall not be seeing you again perhaps for a very long time. I would like to sing for you now... a love song. I know you share this love. I pray that you will never let it die.
___________________________________________________________________________

I think it was "The Sound of Music" that inspired me to do ballet and made me accept the idea that, hell, I won't be able to sing like Julie Andrews. Until now, I've been wanting and aching to visit Austria and the rest of Europe (since my grandpa didn't include us in his travels, darn). And most of all, during bad days... I simply remember my favorite things...and then I won't feel so bad. Sweet.

No comments: